- Because your loved one, even if he or she is bedridden, would prefer to be at home instead of in a hospital.
- Because the top priority of hospice care is patient comfort including relief from pain.
- Because going on hospice does not mean giving up.
- Because hospice focuses on the quality of a patient’s remaining time, instead of continuing treatments to prolong life.
- Because hospice team members guide family members and/or private care personnel on proper caregiving for each individual patient.
- Because hospice patients, on average, live longer than those who are not on hospice. This result has been repeated by numerous studies.
- Because hospice care includes necessary medical equipment such as oxygen, hospital beds, wheelchairs, etc.
- Because spiritual and emotion support is available to the patient and family members.
- Because hospice is fully covered by Medicare, Medicaid and most insurance plans.
- Because hospice is not just for the last few days of a person’s life.
- Because hospice is not just for cancer patients. While hospice provides care for many cancer patients, people with other life-limiting conditions such as Alzheimer’s, renal failure, congestive heart failure may also be eligible for hospice.
- Because hospice care is delivered with compassion.
For information about hospice care in metro St. Louis, please call Hope Hospice at 314-984-9800.
(photo credit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/44124395312@N01/442372023, via http://photopin.com, https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/)